SVdP’s Motel to Home program was created in response to a community need identified in the Norcross study: When Extended Stay Becomes Home and by the work of our volunteer caseworkers. This study documented what we have witnessed with our own eyes: extended stay motels have become the homeless shelters of the suburbs for many families for months and years on end. Even though most of them are working full-time, they often have no other alternative after an eviction because most property owners will not rent to a tenant who owes money to another property. They move in thinking it will be a temporary solution but become trapped as the high daily and weekly fees plus the local motel room taxes leaves them little money to save for paying off debt or for deposits on a new apartment.
Our Motel to Home program is a comprehensive model designed to help families move from extended-stay motels to more stable housing. We believe that safe and stable housing is the key leverage point for improving lives and achieving self-sufficiency by impacting:
- Intergenerational economic mobility
- Educational achievement
- Health and wellness
Eligibility Criteria for Financial Assistance
Please answer the following questions to help you determine if you are eligible to be considered for financial assistance for the Motel 2 Home Program.
1. Do you reside in an Extended Stay in Gwinnett or Cobb County?
2. Do you have enough verifiable income coming into your household to meet rent and other household expenses? (Please note that income must be verified in writing through pay stubs, letters of employment, benefits letters, etc. in order for SVDP M2H to provide financial assistance.)
3. Have you resided in a motel for two weeks or longer and can you provide proof of your extended residence in the motel?
4. Are you willing to participate with a caseworker on budgeting, the housing search process and attend online workshops?
5. Are you a family with school aged children (that includes single moms or dads with children)?
How to Determine Your Results…
If you answered NO to any questions…
Unfortunately you do not qualify for assistance from our Motel 2 Home Program. However, you may be able to seek other assistance by calling the SVDP hotline at 678-892-6163. You will be directed to your local St. Vincent de Paul conference who may be able to help you.
If you answered YES to all of the questions…
Then you may qualify for help, please click the button below to apply.
You will be contacted for a further interview.
Our Impact: Stories of Hope
We currently have Motel to Home programs in Gwinnett and Cobb County, and are expanding into other communities. For more information or any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.